The Technology of Truth
The Study of Truth Detection
Truth - Conformity to fact or reality. Conformity to rule, standard, model, pattern or ideal. Conformity to the requirements of one's being or nature. Being that which is the case rather than what is manifested or assumed.
1. Truth is Beautiful
2. Truth is Systematic
3. Truth is Predictive
1. There is a single, knowable agenda
2. It can only be attained collectively
3. To complete is to verify
4. To predict is to confirm
5. To know is to posses
Process of Inquiry
A Formal Process of Conflict Resolution
- Translate - Translate or define words and concepts in generic or neutral terminology.
- Extract - Extract the truth content from knowledge content. (Principles rather than facts, cause & effect rather than event)
- Reduce -Reduce content to its simplest terms (summarize).
- Extend - Relate or connect to a larger context. Interpolate and extrapolate, systematize.
- Elevate - Look for the higher level that would include both concepts.
- Divide - Rightly divide one concept that is really two or more.
- Model - Identify and apply to a consistent universal model.
Additional aids to conflict resolution
- Assist - Avoid tug-of-war, assist your opponent in applying this process to his concept or model.
- Understand - My first obligation as a judge is to adequately understand the opposing view.
- Think Prophetically - learn to distinguish the two different thought processes or personalities:
Prophetic - Strategic - Long Term - goal oriented
Pastoral - Tactical - Short Term - lifestyle oriented
oints to remember
- Is truth systematic - Yes
- Is the Bible systematic - No
1. Order transcends revelation
2. Self-discipline is the first step in order
3. Self-correction before correction
- Is there absolute truth?
- Is there a God?, Who is he?
- Is he creator?, How?
- What is his essential nature?
- How does he relate to mankind?
- What is the basis of his government and his laws?
- Is there a (perfect) model for: man?, government?
- What is his method of revelation, communication?
- Is there a moral struggle (good and evil)?
- What is the current state of the earth?, universe?
- Is there a (God's) single, knowable agenda?
- What is our (humanities) greatest problem?
- What is the solution?
- Must have rules of order
- Must use a formal process of inquiry and presentation (not just dialog and fellowship)
- Must use a formal process of resolution to judge presentations (based upon self-evident truth rather than reveled truth)
- Must have persistent models (building rather than popcorn, line upon line rather than always having to return to the same arguments) (present >> deliberate >> resolve >> store ...)
Our objective - Truth
The by-product - relationship, reconciliation
The ultimate test: the presence of truth
(leave your titles/positions at the door)
Torah Based Model
Prophetic vs. Pastoral
Feasts of the Lord